■
I had a black dog. His name was Depression.
我有一条黑狗,它名叫抑郁。
Whenever the black dog made an appearance, I felt empty and life just seemed to slow down.
每当这条黑狗出现时,我就感到空虚,生活似乎也慢了下来。
He could surprise me with the visit for no reason or occasion.
它总会不分时间、场合的突然出现在我的面前。
The black dog made me look and feel older than my years.
黑狗让我看起来老于实际年龄。
When the rest of the world seemed to be enjoying life, I could only see it through the black dog.
当整个世界好像都在享受生活,我却只能与黑狗相伴。
Activities that usually brought me pleasure suddenly ceased too.
那些曾带给我快乐的事情,忽然也消失了。
He liked to ruin my appetite. He chewed up my memory and my ability to concentrate.
它喜欢让我失去食欲,它蚕食掉我的记忆力,还让我无法集中精神。
Doing anything or going anywhere with black dog required superhuman strength.
拖着这条黑狗,无论去哪里或者做什么,都需要超乎常人的力量。
At social occasions, he would sniff out what confidence I had and chase it away.
在社交场合,它总会找出我的自信,并将其赶走。
My biggest fear was being found out; I worried that people might judge me.
我最害怕的是被人知道自己抑郁,我担心别人会议论我。
Because of the shame and stigma of the black dog, I was constantly worried about being found out.
由于黑狗带来的羞愧和耻辱,我总是担心被人知道。
So I invested a vast amount of energy into covering him up.
所以我投入很多精力把它藏起来。
Keeping up an emotional life is exhausting!
掩藏抑郁情绪的生活让人精疲力竭!
Black dog could make me think or say negative things.
黑狗让我消极的思考和言谈。
He could make me irritable and difficult to be around.
它让我烦躁不安,难于相处。
He would take my love and bury my intimacy.
它夺走了我的爱,埋藏了我的温情。
He loved nothing more than to wake me with highly repetitive negative thinking.
它最爱在半夜把我唤醒,心中只有那些一直重复的消极念头。
He also liked to remind me how exhausted I was going to be the next day.
它还喜欢提醒我将会面对多么心力交瘁的一天。
Having a black dog in your life is not so much about feeling a bit down, sad or blue.
生活中有一条黑狗,不仅仅是感到一点低落、悲伤或者忧郁。
At its worst, it is about being devoid of feeling altogether.
最糟糕的时候,所有的感觉都会失去。
As I grew older, black dog got bigger and he started hanging around all the time.
我一天天的变老,黑狗一天天的长大,它开始不离我的左右。
I chased him off with whatever I thought might send him running.
我用尽了一切办法,想把它赶走。
But more often than not, he would come out on top.
但获胜的往往是它。
Going down became easier than getting up again.
沉沦再次变得比重新站起更容易。
So I became rather good at self-medication which never really helped.
所以我成了自疗专家,但从未真的有效果。
Eventually I felt totally isolated from everything and everyone.
最后,我感到自己和整个世界以及所有人都隔离了。
注:目前网上的台词与翻译稍微有点问题,老P笔拙略作改动,请多包涵。